How to Be a Great Pet Parent on a Budget
Who says owning a cat or dog has to be expensive? It doesn't! Here are eight ways to keep costs low.
Milk-Bone's Rich Heritage
No matter how things change, beloved high-quality brands like Milk-Bone withstand the test of time.
How Mutts Comic Strip Creator Used His Vocation To Promote Animal Adoption
It's often said “a picture is worth a thousand words,” but if the shelter animals depicted in Patrick McDonnell’s Shelter Stories comics could talk, they’d probably have these two heartfelt words to share: thank you.
Into the Wild
Dogs love the outdoors, and love to smell the balmy summer air mingled with scents of pine trees, sun-baked sidewalks, and salt-kissed breezes!
The Dog Days of Summer
Hit the beach and soak up some sun with these cute summery pups! For more summer puppies, don't forget to check out Modern Dog's Summer 2017 Issue, available soon on stands and online!
Keeping Pets and Kids Active During the Lazy Days of Summer
Want to keep pets and kids active and out of trouble this summer? Here's how!
Summer Bucket List: Fun with Your Dog
Summer's here! Enjoy the sunshine with your canine companion using these fun suggestions.
We Appreciate These Cat and Dog Buddies
Think cats and dogs don't get along? You'll appreciate these adorably awesome buddies!
7 Ways to Simplify Cat Care
Cat chores don't have to be boring. Here are 7 tips for streamlining chores and making them fun.
How Humans and Dogs Became Best Friends
Celebrate National Best Friends Day with a look at some important dates in human and dog history.
The World of Milk-Bone®: A Historical Perspective
Travel back to the year Milk-Bone® launched to peek at a changing world and new attitudes about pets.
A History of Milk-Bone®, an American Icon
How to Bond with Your Dog in the Kitchen
VIDEO: Three Tips for Choosing a Shelter Cat
VIDEO: How to Pet a Cat
Smart Sports Snacking With Your Pet
DIY: Cat Pillow
8 Ways to Celebrate Love Your Pet Day
Zodicat: An Astrology Quiz
Why My Cats Are My Valentines
GALLERY: 11 Dogs Who Miss the Holidays
VIDEO: Forgot To Get Your Cat A Gift?
Ask Morris: What Are Your Resolutions?
How People Love Their Pets Around the World
Cold Weather Gear For Your Dog
A Blind Dog And His Best Friend
A Dog's Purpose
Give Quality Time With Your Pet a Boost
Quiz: What Type Of Cat Are You?
The Story of Joe the Cat
Rescue Dogs of Instagram
D.I.Y. Craft: Make Your Dog a Scarf!
By Natalie Gagnon
From Modern Dog Magazine
Visit your local yarn store and find a bulky weight (weight category 5) yarn that catches your eye. For a warmer cowl, choose a yarn with a high wool content. Also have in mind how long you’d like your cowl to be and how many times you’ll want to wrap it around your dog’s neck.
- 1 or 2 balls of bulky weight yarn in a colour of your choice (buy one ball for a shorter cowl, two balls for a longer one)
- Crochet hook at the recommended size on the label of your chosen yarn. For bulky yarns use a K–10.5 to M–13 (metric equivalent: 6.5 to 9mm).
- With your chosen yarn, complete as many chain stitches as needed to reach the desired length of your cowl.
- Ensuring that your chain is not twisted, slip stitch through the first chain to form your cowl into a ring. Do not turn.
- Chain 1, single crochet in each stitch around. Join with slip stitch in top of first single crochet. Do not turn.
- Repeat step 3 until your cowl is the desired width.
- Fasten off and weave in ends.
* Cool Idea: To spruce up your cowl, add a border on either side in a different colour, weave some ribbon through the stitches to embellish, or for the more advanced crocheter, add a decorative border in a fancier stitch—we like reverse single crochet (aka crab stitch) as shown.
For more cute crochet ideas, check out more patterns by Natalie on NattypatCrochet.com.
This article was written by Natalie Gagnon from Modern Dog and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.