The 20 Most Popular Dog Names
In the popular television series Columbo, the detective played by Peter Falk was sometimes accompanied by his droopy-faced basset hound. His dog’s name: Dog. Most dog owners are a bit more imaginative when it comes to naming their pets. The list of the most popular dog names generally doesn’t change much from year to year, a little like the list of most popular dog breeds in America. Some names are trendier than others, though they might not make the list of most popular.
10 Most Popular Names FOR MALE DOGS:
- Sawyer: A fitting name for a mischievous or adventurous dog.
- Jack: A solid, popular name.
- Hudson: Here’s a name that's gaining popularity with human babies, but also seems suitable for a hound.
- Finn: Perfect for one of the Irish breeds.
- Emerson: A fitting name for a dog of noble stature.
- Bear: Good choice for the large canine; comical choice for the toy breeds.
- Puppy: Colombo-esque, but it’s the name Zac Efron gave his Australian Shepherd.
- Max: Another trendy name for human babies. Any dog would be comfortable with it.
- Kai: It’s hip and means “ocean” in Hawaiian.
- Cooper: Another solid name. Mini Cooper might be a good choice for toy breed.
10 Most Popular NAMES FOR FEMALE DOGS
- Elsa: It grows on you.
- Bella: It was the most popular female puppy name last year.
- Stella: Try shouting the name like Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Quinn: A bit masculine, but some female dogs act like tomboys.
- Sophie: Reserved for the cutest puppies.
- Ivy: Oh, so pretty.
- Charlie: A fitting name for your little angel.
- Aurora: The Roman goddess of dawn. An appropriate name for a female dog who gets you out of bed before the alarm clock does.
- Avery: The name has a British ring to it.
- Lila: A fitting name for a fluffy pet.
What is your dog's name? Which name is your fave on this list? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Originally published on Brit+Co.
Explore more articles
7 Things That Can Stress Out Your Pet
Keeping the Muddy Paws off of Your Floor
With a little planning, your home can remain clean(ish) even on rainy spring days.