Are These 8 Hidden Pet Toxins in Your Home?
Spring is a season full of cleaning house and planting flowers, but some of the things that make the season bright are secretly harmful to your furry friends. Keep an eye out for the hidden dangers that may be lurking in or around your home.
Lilies are a flower often considered synonymous with springtime. Your cat, however, may not realize that for him, they’re synonymous with an upset stomach. Lilies can cause kitties intestinal distress and can even lead to kidney damage, so make sure to put those spring bouquets well out of reach.
Succulents may be all the rage these days, but some varieties, like aloe vera and jade plants, can be poisonous to animals. Keep in mind that “the dose makes the poison,” so check with your vet on how much is a dangerous amount.
Liquid potpourri, like the kind you put into stick diffusers or plug-ins, is harmful to dogs and cats if ingested. They can be corrosive to a pet’s mouth and stomach so consider an alternative, like a more natural deodorizer, to freshen up your home.
Weeds may be a pest in your garden, but weed killers can be a pest to your pet. Some herbicides can have a salty taste to them, which animals sometimes mistake for a tasty treat. Make sure to keep pets away from freshly sprayed areas.
Flea medicine is a safe way to keep your pet itch-free. However, your pet can get really sick if he takes the wrong kind (for example, if you give your cat flea meds meant for dogs, or vice versa). Only give your pet flea medication that fits his species, and keep all kinds of medicine − animal and human − out of reach.
If you have a dog that likes to dig, she may accidentally come across the “buried treasure” of tulip bulbs. They are toxic to dogs and can cause severe damage to nerves and intestines. Always keep your dog’s “digging expeditions” closely supervised.
Cleaning supplies like bleach and detergents can be harmful to your pet if he smells or tastes them. A good rule of thumb when it comes to most cleaners is, “If it would make your kid sick, it’ll make your pet sick!”
Rat poison attracts the pesky rodents in your home, but keep in mind it may attract less pesky critters − like your favorite pet. Eating rodenticides can give cats and dogs seizures and can sometimes lead to internal bleeding. Be extra careful about where you place those traps.
If your dog or cat accidentally ingests one of these toxins, make sure to contact a vet near you or an animal poison hotline right away.
Explore more articles
7 Things That Can Stress Out Your Pet
Keeping the Muddy Paws off of Your Floor
With a little planning, your home can remain clean(ish) even on rainy spring days.