Am I Having Too Much Fun With My Dog?
You and your dog are BFFs. You do everything together, and he gets the best of everything: Yummy food, yummier treats, and a spot on the sofa and in your bed. But how do you know when you're having too much fun — that you've gone from dog person to eccentric?
Here are six signs that you might be having too much fun with your dog.
1. You have invented a voice for your dog, and you make up conversations where you talk in his voice and then answer in your voice.
You, in your dog's voice that sounds like a cross between a baby and a friendly monster: Hey, mom, will you let me outside to chase squirrels, please please please, and then take me out for an ice cream cone? Please, please-pleasepleaseplease?!
You, in your voice: No, you cannot scare the squirrels, honey, because that's mean, but mommy will let you bark at them till they lose their minds. Where do you want to go for ice cream?
You, in your dog's voice: Any place where there's bacon-flavored ice cream!
And so on. Face it. You're talking to yourself.
2. Your dog gets excited when he hears the theme of the TV show you watch together on Friday nights.
Because what's better than binge-watching reruns with your best friend? You both decide you don't like Chandler after watching “The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs."
3. You asked your friend who knits to make matching sweaters made for you and your dog.
And you wear them to the dog park, where even the other dog people think you're taking this man's-best-friend thing a little too far. “There's that woman who dresses like her dog," the woman with the boxer named Flip whispers to the man with the pittie mix named Bowie. The couple with the Goldendoodles named Freddie and Mercury nod and roll their eyes. (Note: The human dog park regulars never know each other's names. They always know the names of the dog regulars.)
4. You sing your favorite pop songs together.
You sing the words, and he howls above the melody. Between the two of you, you can span a few octaves. And you do. Because that's what friends are for.
5. You're so glad to see your fur baby when you get home from work that you do a happy human dance. But it's not as good as his happy dog dance because his tail wagging beats your butt wiggling.
6. You go to a costume party dressed as your dog. You're accompanied by your dog, dressed as you.
This is hard if your dog is a Komondor. But couples costumes FTW.
Is your dog as happy as he makes you? Find out how to tell if your dog is really happy, right here on The Noseprint.
Explore more articles
7 Things That Can Stress Out Your Pet
Keeping the Muddy Paws off of Your Floor
With a little planning, your home can remain clean(ish) even on rainy spring days.