52 Things We Love About Dogs
It's National Dog Week, but we think just one week for dogs isn't enough. To us — and to every dog we know — every week is National Dog Week. That's why we've compiled 52 things we love about dogs. Now we can celebrate all year long!
We love . . . .
- Waking up from a weekend nap with fur in your nose and snoozing face under your arm.
- Getting a welcome-home dance party when you return...from the bathroom.
- Those gentle eyes that just get it.
- Never needing an alarm clock. (ARE YOU AWAKE? WHY AREN'T YOU AWAKE? IT'S TODAY! IT'S TODAY!)
- Unwavering devotion, even when you don't feel like you deserve it.
Photo Credit: "IMG_1414" by Gregory Lawrence via Flickr.
- Realizing you could have taught her the "quiet" command years ago.
- Realizing she gives you more commands than you give her.
- One tail wag for every ounce of love he feels for you. (You don't have to count. It adds up to tons.)
- "Okay one more throw."
- "Fine. One more throw. For real this time."
- Being the world's most appreciated waiter. Every day.
- Squeak. Squeak. Squeaksqueaksqueak. SqueakSQUEAKSQUEAKSQUEAKsqueak. Squeak.
- She knew you left the stove on. And told you. OMG.
- Getting a nuzzle while you're wiping muddy paws.
- Knowing your dog loves hugs, no matter what the internet says.
- An exercise accountability buddy who will. not. take. excuses.
Photo Credit: "20150819-Puppy Gone Wild-625" by firstname.lastname@example.org via Flickr.
- Watching him dream about chasing squirrels. Or swimming? Maybe that's ballet?
- When bringing home a new treat earns you a Nobel Prize in Awesome.
- That one spot on her nose that still smells like puppy.
- How you can instantly make friends at the dog park. And hiking trail. And random sidewalk.
- That satisfied smile after such a good walk.
- The post-nap stretches. Who needs a yoga instructor?
- His "talking" that only you understand.
- Those boots you bought her and never used. And that sweater. And that tutu.
- Never having to run errands alone.
- The way his ears flip-flop as he runs.
- When she's mature enough to cuddle through an entire streaming TV series without insisting you stop to play ten times.
- When he looks like a guard dog but is afraid of the vacuum cord.
- When she looks like a tiny toy but would take on Godzilla.
- The way the shape of her forehead fits your palm.
- Dog toys. There's always room for another dog toy.
- Puppies. Piles of puppies. A single puppy. Sleeping puppies. Playing puppies. All the puppies.
- Excited panting because the mail. Just arrived. Let's go. Get it. Hurry!
- Those adorable snores.
- The fact that they need us.
Photo Credit: "狗狗_35" by tyl0407 via Flickr.
- The fact that we need them.
- How doing something once suddenly makes it a routine. (We walked at noon yesterday! It's noon today! Let's go!)
- You gonna eat that crust?
- Twenty-minute conversations about that rabbit in the yard.
- When you can tell he's trying not to bark because you told him not to bark but oh maaaaaaan does he want to bark.
- Finding an abandoned tennis ball together.
- How she never feels the need to apologize for being herself. And loves you for being you.
- Hearing the jingle of tags on their way toward you.
- How sharing one bite of steak makes you a hero.
- Bottomless compassion when you're feeling blue.
Photo Credit: "hope" by Terrah via Flickr.
- Unabated joy when you're feeling happy.
- Because when you had to get up at 5 a.m. for that meeting, he didn't make you do it alone.
- Discovering that missing sock in her bed. And t-shirt. And shoe.
- The clickity-clack of doggie nails on the floor.
- When she's around a baby for the first time and is just perfect. New BFF.
- Because she's there. Always.
What's on your list? Share the things you love about dogs in the comments!
Explore more articles
7 Things That Can Stress Out Your Pet
Keeping the Muddy Paws off of Your Floor
With a little planning, your home can remain clean(ish) even on rainy spring days.